Sunday, September 12th, is when people all around the country celebrate Grandparents Day. It's a day when toddlers, children, and adults show how much they appreciate their grandparents for sticking up for them in front of their parents, sneaking them candies, and making the best cake. They are a joy to have around, and their stories are more interesting than any book.
Instead of giving them a simple gift or greeting card, consider celebrating Grandparents Day with crafting. Something made with love will mean more to them than a wristwatch or a vase. Below, we have gathered a couple of craft ideas that you can easily make for Grandparents Day.
And, of course, If you don't have time to head out and buy all the craft supplies, we suggest you the Pinwheel Crafts Flower Origami Kit in our online store. Inside the box, you’ll find everything you need to make a cute flower arrangement, which they can cherish forever.
DIY Hanging Yarn Heart
Do your grandparents drive a car? If they do, they will love this gift. Even if they don't drive, they can hang it in their bedroom window or anywhere else where it can be proudly displayed. You will find most of the things used for this craft easily at home.
You Will Need
- Multi-Colored Yarn
- Draw a heart with a pen on the cardboard.
- Use scissors to cut out the shape.
- Cut a long strand of yarn and tape the end on the middle of the heart (Do the same with different colored yarns).
- Now, start wrapping the heart with yarn until not an inch of the cardboard can be seen.
- Tie a knot at the top and then create a loop for hanging.
Family Birthday Calendar
What's the one thing grandparents love? It's celebrating their grandkids' birthdays! So, why not help them remember the dates? This family birthday calendar is fun to make as you will have to do a little research on your family. First, you will need to buy the following things.
You Will Need
- Eyelet Hooks
- 2 Inch Wood Craft Circles
- Round Sticker Paper with Names and Dates Printed on them
- Sticker Paper with Months Printed on Them
- Sticker Paper with the Word “Family” Printed on it in Capital Letters
- A Wooden Slate
- Drill and Drill Bit (Similar to a punching machine hole size)
- Jump Rings
- Paste the sticker with the word “Family” on the wooden slate.
- Cut the stickers with months written on them in small squares and paste them at the bottom of the wooden slate.
- Paste the sticker paper with names and dates on the woodcraft circles.
- Use the drill to create holes in each.
- Divide the birthday dates according to months and then by date in descending order.
- Use the jump rings to connect the woodcraft circles.
- Insert eyelet hooks under each month into the wooden slate, and hang the birthday dates from them.
Salt Dough Hearts
If your little ones like to get their hands dirty, they will have one heck of a time making this gift for their grandparents. One of the best things about this craft is that you can make it in any size and gift it as a keychain, an art plate for the coffee table, or a stone marker for the garden.
You Will Need
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Salt
- ½ cup Water
- Craft Color Drops/Gel Food Coloring
- In a mixing bowl, dump the water, flour, and salt, and mix well.
- If you the dough feels a bit thick and dry, add a little bit more water.
- Add in the craft color and knead the dough thoroughly.
- Shape the dough into a heart and make two tiny holes at the top (This is just a precaution so that if the dried dough is too heavy, you can thread a rope through the holes and easily carry it).
- Let the little ones press their foot on the dough.
- Use a fork to write their names on top.
- Place the heart dough on parchment paper in a pan and slide it into the oven. Bake it at 200F for 3 hours.
- Use a toothpick to test the dough and see if it has hardened or not.
- Once the dough has dried, remove it from the oven and set it in the open air to cool down.
Tie a ribbon around it and gift it to your grandparents!
Pictures of you and your grandparents will always bring a huge smile to their faces. Instead of buying an album and sliding pictures in the sleeves, why not go all out and do something custom and unique? We suggest making photo blocks, which they can place all over the house.
You Will Need
- 4×4 Pictures with Your Grandparents
- 4×4 Wooden Blocks
- Acrylic Paint
- Matte MOD Podge
- Paint the wooden blocks with acrylic craft paint and set them aside to dry.
- Cut your pictures, leaving a thin border all around.
- Once the blocks are dry, cover them with Matte MOD Podge (The reason why we recommend Matte MOD Podge is because it hides those handprints that usually appear on a picture when you paste them on any surface).
- Paste the picture on the blocks and then apply a generous layer of Matte MOD Podge on top of them using a paintbrush.
Set them aside to dry, and your 3D photo album will be ready in just a few short hours.
So, are these ideas good enough for celebrating Grandparents Day with crafting? You can even make these crafts with your grandparents. You can snap fresh pictures with a Polaroid camera for the photo block, and the salt dough heart can have your and your grandparents' footprints on it. You can even create a chandelier from the yarn heart.
And don’t forget, if you are pressed for time, you can also peruse our awesome collection of pre-made craft kits in the Pinwheel Crafts store. Every kit comes with all the supplies needed to make a masterpiece any grandparent would love.